Need Help?

Facing hurdles in design or sketching? As a student, do you grapple with balancing schoolwork and creative pursuits? This blog provides in-depth, tailored advice, directly tackling issues in design, sketching, and academic management. It's a place where you may find the necessary support and guidance to overcome these challenges. (Copyright © 2007-2024 Daniel Lim) Feel free to share the topics you're eager to explore in this blog. Additionally, if my content has inspired or aided you, I'd love to hear about it. Your feedback is invaluable.

13 July 2012

How to Draw Objects with Sloped Edges

To be more precise,

How to draw ORGANIC-SHAPED OBJECTS with SLOPED EDGES?

Fig. 1: Secondary TWO Pencil Holder Project - Student's Work

It all began as a simple lower secondary pencil holder project (Fig. 1 above). A fish-shaped pencil holder with basic curved profile. The holder project is not yet compete as you can see there is no tail yet. Students learned how read a working drawing, moved on to mark out the fish profile, shape it using a Scroll Saw, Sand to smooth and to finish with ether Spray Paint or Lacquer.

But when I finish my demo piece, I went a step further to experiment on sloped-edges to create additional volume to the form (Fig. 2 below) to add aestherical value to the original form.

It turned out pretty nice actually.
Fig. 2: Pencil Holder with Modified Sloped-Edges

As I was completing my 'slope-edge' experiment, a question came to my mind. I thought to myself, 'It is easy to draw an organic shape in 3D as long as the edges are square to the surface. But now the edges are sloped and no longer along a simple plane. How do I illustrate that?'.

Fig 3: Figuring Out How to Plot the Slope (Draft)

That question began my journey to find out a way to map out the slope profile. Fig. 3 above shows my initial attempt in trying to figure out the various ways I can accurately plot the curves. The drawing on the lower right-hand corner attempts to illustrate a simply-sloped edge round the fish profile.

The drawing on the upper left-hand corner is another simple shape which I use to figure out how to plot guidelines in order to place the slope edge.

After a little while, I concluded the steps mentally and penned down the steps as I recalled what I did to produce the sloped edges. See Fig. 4 below. HINT: Lines highlighted in RED represents a new step.

I've tried to present it in as little steps, as little instructins and as simply as I could. Follow the arrows for a FIVE-STEP process to draw your very own Irregular or Organic Forms with Sloped Edges.


Fig. 4: How to Map out Organic Shape Objects with Sloped Edges

Cheers and have fun drawing your Organic Slope-Edge Objects!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mastering Unfamiliar Themes: A Simple Guide to Kickstart Your Design & Technology Coursework

Embarking on a  Design & Technology (D&T) project can be an exciting journey but students often find themselves at a crossroads when...